Sunday, October 21, 2012

102112 Seattle and Rattlesnake Ledge

102112  Seattle and Rattlesnake Ledge

 On my R&R I also visited Seattle (where I'm from.)  Seattle is really a nice place in the summer as it's very green and usually not too hot at all.  But then again it's nice all year round to me.   Anyway one of the things I wanted to do there was hike Rattlesnake Ledge (see pic.)  It's a good hike at about 1200' elevation increase and generally crowded with tourist from overseas!  AND, there are no rattlesnakes west of the Cascade mountains so why the heck is it called Rattlesnake Ledge?   I hiked it with my friend Harvey (10 years my junior) and after maybe a third of the way up, Harvey needed to rest.  Then again, Harvey did say I had an unfair advantage since living in Kabul (elevation 5800) already aclimated me to such a hike. 
 Rattlesnake Ledge was also in the national news a while back since some nut-job, killed his family, burned the house down and hunkered down in a bunker somewhere here.  See link.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018093698_bunker29m.html

And in one of the pics across the valley is Mount Si.  Which back in the 80s was....Twin Peaks.  North Bend (the town of Twin Peaks) is down in the valley and the cafe where black coffee and cherry pie is still there.

R/Chris

 

No comments:

Post a Comment