Sunday, April 15, 2012

041512 At 1345, fighting erupts in Kabul.

041512  At 1345, fighting erupts in Kabul.  It's the beginning of the spring offensive fighting season (it comes right after the cherry blossom season.)
 
Sunday here was like any other Sunday until 1345 (that's 1:45 PM local.)  Taliban insurgents conducted a 'complex attack' (which means everything they could muster).  Since I was already in my room sleeping (I'm on night shift here) I continued doing what I was doing. I officially woke up at 7 PM to get ready for my shift at 8 and only then heard all the commotion, etc.  There were alarms and other announcement until 9:30 at which the all clear was given.  At that time I put on the ballistic vest and helmet and headed to work.  Long story short, there were VBIEDs (vehicle borne IEDs), RPGs (rocket propelled grenades) and of course the standard Soviet era mortars and small arms fire.  A total of 10 bad guys killed here in Kabul.  For more details there are many new articles out there such as the following:
And it is definitely spring here.  All the snow has been melted for weeks now and the while the trees are still stark, there are small green buds on them.  And here's a pic of me and a water pallet.  Only bottled water is considered safe for drinking.  This is only the first of the season.  I don't think the Haqqni Taliban were too pleased with this first effort so it's reasonable to think they'll try again.  On the plus side there are visible improvements with how the Afghans handled this attack.  Such is life in Kabul.
R/Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment