Monday, December 26, 2011

26Dec11 I finally got my Calendar

26Dec11 I finally got my Calendar

So in between Iraq and Afghanistan I spent a few weeks in the states for training.  During that time I happened to visit Hooters Restaurant as they have pretty good chicken wings (really!)  Anyway, at the end of the meal, the perky waitress (Debbie) that was waiting on us tried to sell each of us a Hooters Calendar that would then be donated to the 'Troops in Afghanistan'.  I pointed out that one of our group just completed his Afghanistan deployment, another has been there and in Iraq for many years and that I just left Iraq after 6 1/2 years and was flying to Afghanistan that weekend.  Needless to say she still wanted us to buy this $10 Calendar and then donate it 'to the troops.'  And needless to say, we all passed on the calendar. So what do I see at the NSE (National Support Element) today, but a stack of about 50 such calendars (see pic.)  And needless to say, about all 50 were still there when I went back that night.
So I finally got my Calendar Debbie!

R/Chris

(NSE - National Support Element, This is a place set aside by country where people of that nationality may go and just chill.  There's a lounge area, a phone bank place where you can make personal calls, and usually a large stock of snacks, candy, junk food etc.  There's one for every nation here at HQ ISAF.)

1 comment: